Sunday, November 16, 2008

Kunstler


I've recently been hooked on the Jim Kunstler podcast. Here is one of my favorite "episodes".

***


In his book "The Geography of Nowhere" (1990), Jim altered me as profoundly as the film "Koyaanisqatsi" but with a much different message. I guess I would consider myself a disciple of his and I partially attribute "The Geography of Nowhere" with my unwillingness to move to the burbs and my reluctance to even visit the burbs, of Cincinnati or anywhere else, for that matter. As if the suburbs of Cincinnati were any different from anywhere else (the point of the book, duh).

A side note, Barack Obama's statement, "I'm not interested in the suburbs. The suburbs bore me." helps dull the pain of his recent victory.

***


Kunstler's blog (for my 21st century, computer literate, feed reader friends) is here. It far surpasses mine in terms of the ability to communicate the idea of how screwed up the world is right now.