Sunday, September 30, 2007

Reds season is over

The Reds baseball season has come to an end. The team finished an abysmal 72 up & 90 down- including 9 & 9 against the Chicago Cubs, which means I don't have to pay my miserable cousin $5. Unfortunately, the very same booty will not be transferred to my bank account either.

I attended 8 regular season Reds games this year, amongst 11 major league games overall. I saw 4 Reds wins and 4 Reds losses. The best game I saw was on 07.26, a bottom of the 10th walkoff single by Javier Valentin against the Brewers.

The Reds biggest problem, all season long, was the bull pen. In order to get help down there, I do not think ANY position player the Reds have should be "untouchable". Much to the contrary, I believe EVERYONE is on the table, except Brandon Phillips. Trade any combination of the rest of them for pitching, and fill the positions with the youngsters, such as Joey Votto, Jeff Keppinger, and Norris Hopper.

The end of baseball's regular season is always a somber occasion, it signals the coming coldness and darkness, anchored by the silliest time of the year. It is the final time the Reds broadcast team will call the play by play for the season on my radio.

So, I close my eyes, cross my fingers, and pray for 03.31.08- Reds vs Diamondbacks at the Great American Ballpark with the attendant opening day parade. I will ride my bike downtown that day, watch the F14s flyover, then go watch the game with the sound turned down, and the Brennamens turned up.

Hopefully, on 03.31.08, [that] one will belong to the Reds!

0 comments: